When it comes to creating your new driveway or parking lot, it’s easy to be overwhelmed with all of the options. If you’re new to this, terms like “ready mix,” “concrete,” and “cement” are likely to leave your head spinning. Continue reading as we break down your options and offer three tips on choosing the right concrete mixture for your project.
1. Know the difference between concrete and cement
First things first, it’s important to note that concrete and cement are NOT the same thing. Concrete is a mixture of cement, gravel, and sand. Cement is the powdered, dry material that is mixed in with gravel, water, and sand to become a binder for concrete. In order to create high-quality concrete, it is critical that you have the right proportions of these materials.
2. Determine the temperature and surface area of the space in which your concrete will be poured
If you live in an unpredictable climate and expect your concrete to be subjected to a variety of temperatures, an entrained air mixture may be what you’re looking for. If your concrete will be poured in a relatively small, tight space, a mixture with a plasticizer can increase the fluidity of your concrete, allowing it to flow to areas that are hard to reach.
3. Understanding the types of mixes
Mixing your own concrete can go very badly very quickly. That’s why Port Aggregates offers ready mix concrete, which is a premixed combination of perfectly proportioned sand, gravel, and cement that’s ready at your convenience. The top 5 variations of ready mix concrete include:
- Self-Leveling Concrete- If a flat, smooth surface is required for your project, self-leveling concrete is a good option. This kind of concrete has high flow characteristics, which allow it to level on its own without the help of extra water or the need for hand-leveling.
- Rapid Setting Concrete- If you’re working on a commercial concrete project for your business and looking to decrease your energy consumption, this is a good choice. Because this type of concrete sets so quickly, your project will move swiftly and you will be able to get back to work in no time.
- Fiber-Reinforced Concrete- If your new driveway or parking lot will be subjected to extremely cold winters, fiber-reinforced concrete is made to last longer in harsh weather. Because of the macrofibers or microfibers it’s infused with, it is extremely durable and ideal for structural design.
- Standard Ready Mix Concrete- If you desire a material that’s been constructed within a controlled environment and is quick and efficient, standard ready mix concrete is the way to go. This form of concrete is fairly simple and the most popular choice for standard driveways. In choosing this option, you are guaranteed the best quality, given that it comes straight from the concrete plant.
- High-Strength Concrete- If you need your concrete to support heavy industrial loads, you may require the elasticity of high-strength concrete. This type of concrete is specially made to be more resilient than other types of concrete.
Choosing the right concrete mixture doesn’t have to be so overwhelming. Regardless of your ready mix concrete needs, Port Aggregates has you covered. For more help deciding what mixture is right for you, contact us today!